J1 Visiting Scholars
All Exchange Visitors (both J-1 principals and J-2 dependents) are required to have sickness, accident, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance in effect for the entire duration of their EV status. A willful failure to carry insurance is considered to be a violation of the EVP regulations.
US Department of State Requirements
62.14 - Insurance
- medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- a co-payment not greater than 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness
- a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- a waiting period for pre-existing conditions that is reasonable by current industry standards
- coverage for activities inherent to the exchange program (i.e., flight training for an aviation school)
- repatriation of remains in an amount of $25,000
- expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
The Student Health Insurance Plan Exceeds the US Department of State Requirements
Coverage Period Options:
- Date of arrival to US or begin date of DS2019 through end date of DS2019 with the possibility of extending to departure from US, maximum 30 days*†
- Gap time from arrival to US or begin date of DS2019 to when UA employee medical benefits take effect
- Qualifying Life Events*†
*Can enroll prior to but no later than 30 days of appointment date or qualifying event.
†If you enroll and do not maintain your coverage through the end date of your appointment, you will not be allowed to reenroll onto the plan unless you have a new appointment.
Required Documentation to Enroll:
- Host department must arrange for an EMPLID
- Once EMPLID is obtained, submit Enrollment Application
Renewal Notices are sent to both the email address noted on your enrollment application and your @email.arizona.edu address.